The Horned Lizard, native to North America, is infamous for doing what to confuse predators?
- The lizard deliberately pops blood vessels near its tear ducts, then pressure shoots the blood up to five feet. And, it apparently tastes foul.
Which animal, pictured here, is a rare example of a mammal that produces venom? In this case, it produces the venom from a spur on its hind leg.
- Platypus venom isn't lethal to humans. But, by all accounts, it's one of the most painful venoms humans can be exposed to. Who'd have thought such danger lurked within their weird flipper feet?
Lots of animals play dead. The Sea Cucumber just does it in an... interesting way. How?
- It's viscerally gross, but it's certainly convincing. Most animals couldn't survive pooping out their stomachs.
The Eurasian Roller is best known for a particular expulsion, which it uses to disorient attackers. What does it expel?
- On top of upchucking on its enemies, the Eurasian Roller's vomit itself is pretty unique. The vomit it expels is a bright orange color.
Colobopsis saundersi has a common name that's very uncommon. What is it known as?
- The name is pretty self-explanatory. These ants, when backed into a corner, will explode in a spray of venom; the individual ants will commit suicide in defense of the colony.
The Boxer Crab is named for the two little "boxing gloves" it wears for defense. What is it wearing?
- The Boxer Crab, also called the Pom-Pom Crab, hits people with venomous anemones. They don't hurt the crab, but they can kill other small animals.
The Hagfish secretes a thick slime to protect itself from attackers. What does the slime do?
- The hagfish is stone cold. Its slime (which is so thick that it can be used in clothing) completely clogs up the gills of other fish and chokes them to death. Brutal.
This creature's friendly face hides its David Cronenberg-esque nature. How does the Iberian Newt use its insides at outsides?
- The Iberian Ribbed Newt, as its also known, pops its ribs so they poke out the side, where they act as dangerous spikes.
The Pygmy Sperm Whale is smaller than other whales, so it has some tricks up its sleeve. When threatened, it kicks up a cloud to hide in while it escapes. What is the cloud made of?
- It's gross to say, but it specifically expels an anal syrup. It then thrashes around to make an opaque cloud of the stuff.
The Slow Loris has the same defense mechanism as many an unwashed undergrad. What does it use to defend itself?
- The Slow Loris rubs its armpit glands, then rubs the venomous armpit goo all over its mouth. It then bites attackers with its envenomed teeth.